VI

"If two make peace with each other in a single house, they will say to the mountain, 'Move from here!' and it will move."


              Glimpses, a vein of trace imaginings plied over a mental framework; malleable and delicate.  Worked, and worked again until a self-realized image is predominately clearer to the mind's discriminating monacled eye.  Testimate to the dedication of an artisan, patient with the tools thrown at him.  Crude mouldings and impure mineral; labourously mined from out of the void.  Flash.  Of rememberance,  scenes play out inconspicously to time. A sparkling gem set admist raw ore.  Flash.   A ring, sounding out. There, another!  Success!  Flash.  A blur of light and faceted colours, embedded in the rock.  Flash.  Flip, flip, flip, flip.  Still.  Will this be treasure enough?  Tributary; paid out in King's ransom to doves.  Still...
              The sound of curiousity, biting into intrigue, enough to sway the passerby from his travels in the realm of outside and once again enter the interior of the mined.
              "Ah, well, hello there... Giggle.  You there.  Standing so shy, sheepish; stepping on your tongue?      No?
Hmph, suit yourself then, I am already aglow in finery."              
              "What are you doing in here?  I just now had the strangest... thought?  It was almost a memory."
              "Addressed in some newly aquired accessories.  Sigh. Sadly, roughly cut, an unedited quarry; these sendimentary need to be hewn to fit.  See? See."
              Flash.  ...a coffee maker just within reach of her.  Perfect opportunity to talk to her.  All the orders are up or done.  The hands of the clock are sounding out that it is just after two.  Time enough to leave the line for a refill.  Start heading around to the other side of the line... the dishsink... server station almost in reach.  Arggh, No.  "I don't know where you knife guard went.  Check over by my station.  Not there?  Then I don't know.  Excuse me."  Idiot.  Only a few other servers doing up sets.  The coffee smells good.  Mouth is dry. Sugar, cream.  "Someone here smells really good."  Smile. an opening.  "Is that you Jen?  You smell really good.  What kind of perfume are you wearing?"...
              "Gasp. Wh-where did you find this one?  I thought all the memories of her were lost."
              Flash.  ...ah, she's here.  "Hey Jen, what's going on?   I just finished my shift, thought I would have a drink at the bar with Malloy before heading home.  Where are you guys coming from?  Really, a psychic fair?  Hahaha.  I don't know, I like to think I determine my own future.  Let me see your reading..." Figures, health, wealth, happiness, family, children. "So was your psychic right about your future?  Why don't you want children."  Blur, fade.  Flash.  "My fortune?  Uh, yeah, sure, if  you want, here's my hand..." She's standing so close to me.  My heart is really racing.  Her hands are soft.  Please don't sweat hand.  Look at the contours of her face, lovely, into her eyes.  Gazing.  She's smiling. "What else does it say?"  Stall, this moment needs to last.  Wait, whoa. 'You're going to find love with someone you can't live without and she is going to feel the same about you.  But you have to tell her.  You need to tell her.  And then a time will come when you'll be apart, and she won't care if she lives or dies and neither will you...'  Again.  'You're going to find love with someone you can't live without and she is going to feel the same about you.  But you have to tell her.  You need to tell her.  And then a time will come when you'll be apart, and she won't care if she lives or dies and neither will you...'   Over and over.  What does this mean?  'You're going to find love with someone you can't live without and she is going to feel the same about you.  But you have to tell her.  You need to tell her.  And then a time will come when you'll be apart, and she won't care if she lives or dies and neither will you...'  This is too long of an awkward pause.  She's staring.  Pull your hand away.  What does this mean?  "I-uh,  I believe you..."   Blank.
              "I did. Something. Struggle. Too abrupt, importance, reason... Grasp.  Lost.  Crumbling in my hands, reason..." Frustration.
              "I'm sure it will come back to you, give it time.  Don't get worked up over it.  I'm just amazed these images are back, but they seem somehow... hollow... for some reason.  Like I shouldn't trust them.  I can't shake this feeling."
              "Yes, sadly, re-imaginings, less ghost story more poltergueist; harmful at times."
              "I'm not following you.  What did you do?  How are these real?  These images seem pretty accurate to me,  I mean, I can't physically remember this happening, but it seems... I know these events happened.  How do I explain it?"
              "Explain? Explain.  Laughter.  I understand; such is my course.  Yes, a re-telling of sorts; unreal.   Dug up from the clay and dirt; chiseled from out of the mouth of madness.  Illusion brought back to life.  Rememberance comes from the parallel of what never was.  Figmentation, timeless, slow in coming; though persistant."
              "That's really clever. Brilliant even. But how do we know this really happened then?  Or for any of these memories for that matter?"
              "Feel.  Tsk, Tsk.  Sigh. Tragic. Tragedy, a body shelters more than just grey mass.  Feel and know what is true, inside.  Matter.  Here.  Lastly, still one more."
              Flash. ...not really sure what to say to her.  "Do you want to walk for a bit?  Uh, yeah, sorry, I just wanted to talk to you.  Tell you something.  Let's head towards the school there." Blur.   "...here, over here." Safety from prying eyes.  " These bushes here will offer us some cover."  So childish.  I've never trusted anyone like her before.  "Hee-he, yeah its like a fort in here.  What?  Yeah, I'm not really sure where to start. I don't know what it is, but I trust you Jen, completely.  I wanted to tell you..."  Blur. ...story of her mother.  Growing up like that.  Its nice that she trusts me too.  Poor Jenny.  "I had no idea, I'm sorry that happened to you.  How you protected your younger sister? You really do love your mother after all of that."  Aching heart.  I feel for her.  She's looking for a fairytale; Prince Charming.  I am completely lost in her eyes, seeking sympathy, understanding.  Locked.  Smile.  So is she... Blur.  "...a cure for all disease.  I don't fully understand it but it came to me all in a flash.  Something I had been working on for years.  All because of you.  Remember when I got up from the couch in a hurry that other night and left.  I figured out what it was, sort of.  From what I managed to piece together, one part has to do with biology... and the other has to do with physics?... its weird, I don't know what that..."  Blur.  ...whoa, what the?  There it is again, a piercing look of hatred.  Now, love?  Is she like me?...
              "Your cure.  Do you still have it?  I mean, can we re-imagine it or whatever, back into existence.  Is there any more to this memory?"
              "No. Echoes out.  Ponders. Hmmm, maybe, physics rings aloud in the shower; an unlimited power source."
              "Really?  Are you sure?  Can we get more memories.  Dig, dig..."
              "None for now. Figmentation, timeless, slow in coming; though persistant. Waiting, barracks, towers, structures of precious stone; building a defence."
              "Well what can I do to help?  I'm sorry I yelled at you before.  Our body is still under a lot of strain, still on the mend.  I guess I overreacted.  You can't imagine what it is like to lose something so precious.  Alright then, let's get back to it.  Off to work we go!"
              "Work? Work.  Shrug.
              Rising above the horizon; two so small in stature, dwarfed by a mountain of activity.  Building a defence and the lost science. Resolve.  Pick or spade, hearts or aces; suitable fortunes waiting to be made and retold.  My kingdom for five more like him.  Reflective; giggle.  I wonder if he knows how to whistle?